A quick Google search of the word “photography” will reveal many different types of styles. Some are more popular than others, but what they all have in common is what makes them work. They have a subject, background, and foreground to create depth and dimensionality.
Flat lay photography, is a particular style of photography that is often used in fashion and other venues. More than likely, you have encountered these types of images online or in brochures, especially with clothing. However, we will help you explain what flat lay photography is and how it can be used in your own business.
Flat lay photography features products with a non-conventional angle, often from above or below, with the product at the center of the frame. It’s a great way to show physical items while providing visual information. One of the great things about flat lay photography is that it can be used for just about any type of product.
There are many situations in which professional product photographers may use this technique: if you’re selling clothing, jewelry, accessories, home decor items, or furniture, flat lay photography is a great way to focus on your products and their details. You can also use it to highlight food items or even cosmetics. It’s a versatile style of photography that can be very eye-catching and engaging when done right.
The most successful images will be clean and simple with an interesting perspective that captures what the product is all about. Flat lay photos should also have a lot of white space that draws attention to the subject.
A successful photograph keeps the viewer centered and focused. Once you have a person’s attention on your product, they automatically make judgments and subconsciously express emotion about what they see in front of their eyes. Just think about how powerful an image can be and how it can influence us to make decisions.
Good lighting is essential for flat lay photography. Proper lighting brings out colors, gives depth to an image, and helps the viewer hone in on the subject. When working in a photography studio, a photographer must ensure just the right lighting and positioning. Quality flat lay photos are achieved through the use of proper lighting gear.
In every instance, the product is always front and center. The image doesn’t have a lot of distractions, and there is more negative space in the photo than what is taken up by the product. The colors in the photograph are either complimentary or analogous to one another. The picture has a clean and simple composition and is taken with intention and not just an afterthought.
Flat Lay has been around for decades and was initially used to show what items were in-store displays. Today it’s still great for displaying products but can be used for just about anything.
Most businesses continue to rely on it for its simple product showcase ability and a tool for branding.
Here are some ways a business can use flat lay images in their marketing:
1) Flat Lay Photography as Social Media Content: This type of photography is excellent for social media sites like Facebook and Instagram. It’s an effective way to post about your upcoming projects.
2) Flat Lay Photography as ‘Product Only’ Content: For e-commerce websites, flat lay images are often used when there aren’t any models available to show what the product looks like on a person. It’s also a great way to show off multiple products within a single frame.
3) Flat Lay Photography as an Ad: When you want to create an ad that stands out, using flat lay photography is a great way to do it. You can showcase your product in a visually appealing way and catches the viewer’s attention.
4) Flat Lay Photography for Blog Posts: Many bloggers use flat lay images to help illustrate what they are discussing in their topics. It’s a great way to break up large chunks of text and add visual interest.
5) Product Photography: With online shopping becoming the dominant form most of us buy our products, flat lay photography is one of the best ways to accurately portray the items you’re selling.
6) Flat Lay Photography for E-Books or Marketing Material: When creating e-books or marketing material, whether an A4 printout or an infographic, flat lay imagery is a great way to tie what you’re saying in with what people say they are seeing.
Flat Lay photography is a type of photography that features products with an out-of-the-ordinary angle, often from above or below with the product at the center.
It’s excellent for displaying what you’re selling and gives consumers more information about what they are looking at on their own time, whether online or in-store. One of the best things about flat lay photography is that there isn’t one right way to do it; all that matters is what looks good for your business (and what works).
To help get you started thinking about how you can use this style of imagery in your marketing, we’ve provided six different ways businesses like yours can utilize Flat Lay images. Choose whichever one fits best for what you have going on!
Is there something we can help you answer? Feel free to contact us.
Be sure to visit our other online profiles. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google Maps, and Youtube.
Be sure to leave us a review on Google and Yelp.
Clothing and Product Photography Studio
1031 South San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776